Thursday, September 11, 2008

Intro

Hi, my name is Beth and I've decided to start a blog dedicated to my professional life. When I was in college at the University of Florida, we were required to do some volunteer work for one of my classes. I signed up to work at the local homeless shelter and liked it so much that I continued to volunteer there long after my required hours had been met. After getting my degree in English (I have no idea why-I think I heard it was an easy course of study), I decided to go to Grad School and was so happy to discover that there was actually a profession where I could get paid to help others. I wouldn't be paid much, but alas, I had discovered my future career.
I received my MSW from Florida State in 2002, all the while working full-time for the Department of Children and Families where I took child abuse reports. After graduation, I moved to Colorado with my new husband and got a job working at a residential treatment center for severely abused and neglected children whom had been removed from the home. This was the most difficult yet rewarding work I've ever done. Unfortunately, I had to quit after a little youngster kicked me in the stomach while I was pregnant. Yes, she did it on purpose. One day I hope to work with this population again, but not while my own children are so young. I just feel so passionately about this population that I am unable to "leave work at work" and it would negatively impact my personal life.
I then got a job with a local organization where I helped them open a homeless shelter for severely mentally ill women. I loved this job but was unable to use my clinical skills as the organization was/is not certifed in the field. So, I got a position at our local mental health center where I've been for close to 5 years. For the majority of those years, I worked out of a medical clinic providing mental health treatment to homeless adults. For the past 2 years I've also worked for our off-hours Emergency Services Team where I respond to the emergency rooms and assess both children and adults for suicidal/homocidal/grave disability criteria and put them on a 72 hour hold if necessary.
After my recent maternity leave, I transferred to the Emergency Services Team during the day as well. Needless to say, I come across some very interesting people and I always find their stories fascinating. It is my hope and intention that through this blog, I can share a little glimpse into the lives of those suffering from mental illness and perhaps even break a few barriers and stigmas of those afflicted by the disease.

No comments: